Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Higher Order Thinking-Carol Gaab

I missed most of this session due to staying up too late in the War and Peace Room, but I had talked to other teachers about this session over breakfast and had seen it in action last summer.  Basically, Carol tries to make her comprehension questions higher order and without a hard right answer.  Here are some ways that she gets her kids to think critically:

1. Most likely:  Which character would be most likely to say/do_____________?

2. Let's Vote: Who thinks Brandon wants a big dog?  Why?  Who thinks Brandon wants a small dog?  Why?

3. Agree/disagree:  Give a statement without a correct answer and have kids agree or disagree.  Brandon's mom hates dogs.

4. What would you do if________________ (getting into conditional too!!)

5. Probable/possible:  Is it possible or probable that Brandon already has a dog?

6.  Who would say this?  I hate dogs.  Dogs are a lot of responsibility.  I will take care of the dog.

7.  Is this relevant to the story:  Brandon's grandma lives in Topeka.  Brandon's mom used to have a dog.

Anyway, I love these questions and I NEED to remember to use them more often in class!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. Even though I was at Carol's presentation, I did not write any of this down. This is so helpful!

    ReplyDelete