Wednesday, August 5, 2015

My ideas for a unit based on Carol Gaab's ideas

Okay, first you have to read my last post...and here are my brainstorms for a unit based on either Problemes au Paradis or the typical first unit of French class.  I looked at the summary of the book (which I have to admit I haven't read yet since I only have one copy that's usually checked out to a student) and thought that a theme I could pull out is family and the teenage feeling that parents suck. 

So, I could look at current events to find famous/interesting families to discuss.  Perhaps the Kardashians (yuck!) or the Royal Family with the two new babies...

Some PQA questions to start off with: Who is in your family? What are they like?  What do they like to do?  Do you like them?  Who do you like the best/least? How many people will be in your family when you grow up? etc

Maybe find an article about Baby George and his reaction to the new baby girl or the Kardashian family and the recent developments with Caitlyn...  Also, I thought that the storyline of Where the Wild Things Are would fit pretty well with the plot of Problemes au Paradis.  I still need to sign up for A to Z reading to find free leveled readings.

Then, I want to go to a human interest story.  The one that came to mind was a story I heard recently of two sets of identical twins born in the same hospital on the same day and one twin was switched, so that the boys were raised as fraternal twins instead of identical twins.  I feel like that would be a pretty high-interest story.

I didn't have a chance to really think of a movie talk, so if you have any ideas, let me know!

Next, for a human #authres, I was thinking Johnny Depp, since he is well-known to my kids, speaks French, and has a French family to discuss.

For music, I googled "paroles pere" and came up with a song from Celine Dion called Parler a mon Pere that looked good.  For older classes, I thought maybe Maudite Priere by Lynda Lemay, which is about a mom with too many kids who just found out she's pregnant again...

Thoughts?  Ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment